Wednesday, January 7, 2009

our sad news

So, our ultrasound went a little differently than we expected.

We did find out that our baby is a girl. Unfortunately, our girl was also diagnosed with a very severe case of spina bifida. If you don't know (I didn't), spina bifida is a neural tube defect, where the spinal column doesn't close correctly, causing a hole in the spine and therefore nerve damage and other issues like hydrocephalus. It happens in the very early days of pregnancy. It's one of those things that "just happens sometimes" and we happen to be one of the unlucky few.

I am 20 weeks and should be celebrating the halfway point in my pregnancy. Instead, I am sadly preparing for an induction and the loss of our precious baby.

We are feeling very loved and supported through this difficult time. I'm not sure how we would make it otherwise.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you both at this time.

Cinderill said...

My Dad has kept us informed on how things went and we have been praying for you since we heard that things might have gone wrong. My heart breaks for you at this time. Having been pregnant and knowing the love I felt for that tiny dot the moment I saw it on the ultrasound, I know how much you both love your tiny baby. We will continue to pray for you while you endure this.

Love,
The Wilcoxs (Cindy & Family)

Unknown said...

You both have been in our hearts and prayers ever since we heard about the baby. Please know that we are thinking of you both during this time of sadness.

With all our love,
Uncle Davey & Aunt Tammy